"Our day started out like any other. The one difference, however, was that on this day, August 3rd of 2008, we were to meet the endearingly lovely Liu Yi Fei, engage in conversation with her, take pictures with her, and...inform her about Crystallized. :)
After actually finding the 99 Martial Arts Center (which was somewhat of a feat in itself), Chris and I walked through the entrance of the building; a Chinese gentleman very graciously held the door open for us. The building's air conditioning was very welcoming, after having been in the Cali sun for a little over an hour and a half in the car. But I'm assuming you could care less about how hot it was, haha. So, moving on...
We arrived slightly late; Chris was the one who actually spotted her first. I was combing the crowds in the event's main hall, because I had heard that she may arrive early and that there may be reserved seating for her. After about two minutes, Chris tapped my shoulder and frantically whispered "Uh Bryant...I think...uh BRYANT, is that...? TURN AROUND."
"Yeah, Chris. That's our Xixi." :)
She was walking very sedately, interested in the martial arts exhibition. Her mom was also present at the event; they both arrived slightly late, and because the event was already underway, not many people took notice of her arrival at first. I spoke to Julie around this time, first telling her my name and that I talked to her only a few days ago; I was pleasantly surprised to find that she remembered me. As Xixi quietly joined the crowd to watch the exhibition, she was beckoned back into the entrance area by friends and fans, who wished to take pictures of and with her; this was when Chris and I first greeted and took the first few pictures with Xixi (Chris had the camera, by the way). After a while, she once again entered the crowd to watch, and was called out onto the main mat in the middle by Jack Tu. I am not proficient in Mandarin, but I did hear him describe her as being "hen ke ai" and "piao liang", which I quite agree with. :) Unable to translate the majority of what he and Xixi said, I was later informed by Julie (Jack's younger sister) of several interesting points, which I will bring up later. After speaking to the gathered general audience and returning to the entrance area, she was approached by the Chinese press (two reporters) and interviewed in front of the neat reception area (with cookies, snacks, juice, etc.). She later followed the two reporters into a different room, where I believe photos were taken.
During, and a little before, Xixi's interview with the Chinese press, Julie was asking people if they knew who Xixi was, politely pointing out to anyone who didn't, that she played the role of "Golden Sparrow" in Forbidden Kingdom while gesturing to and indicating a poster of Golden Sparrow on the wall, signed by Xixi with a short accompanying message. She asked us if we knew who Xixi was, and we assured her that we did. Although the general event ended around 5:30, the actual martial arts demonstrations ended around 4:15pm. Xixi had gone out onto the mat again, and joined Grandmaster Tu, Jack, Julie, the two younger Tu siblings Jenny and Jimmy, and several other people, while a small crowd formed around the assembly to take photos.
After Xixi returned to the main entrance area again and posed for a few more pictures, her protectively caring mom told her that they were to leave soon. Chris warned me that I should quickly attempt to get Xixi's attention and give her the gift bag (containing a stuffed animal Schnauzer, a decorated card, a folder with 4 printed out pages of messages/wishes from Crystallized's 1st anniversary e-mag, and the actual e-mag on a CD) before she left. I politely but briskly walked past several people, saying many "excuse me"'s, and called out "Crystal!" to Xixi. As she turned around, I walked up to her and told her a little about Crystallized, an English forum dedicated to her. We had a nice conversation that probably lasted around 5-10 minutes, which is a long time when you're standing next to adorable Xixi and watched by many people. As Chris watched from the side, I handed over the bag of gifts, and around 15-20 people, including the Chinese press reporters, formed a semi-circle around Xixi and I. During the event on August 3rd, I might have been the only fan who gave gift(s) to Xixi; her mom politely tried to clear some of the crowd, giving Xixi and I space to talk a little bit. She asked me if the Crystallized website url was included somewhere in the bag of gifts, and I told her yes. After looking inside the bag, she took out the Schnauzer I bought for her and said "Aww, so cute!" ^^; While Chinese press and fans' cameras snapped away, I continued talking to Xixi and looked helplessly at Chris, who stayed because I had asked him to take another picture of us; this was also noted and accepted by Xixi's mom. Xixi politely asked Chris if he'd like to join in the picture also, which Chris first politely refused because he had already taken one with her. She was very sweet, told Chris it was okay, and he conceded in joining in for more pictures. Afterwards, Xixi and her mom left the 99 Martial Arts Center building and the crowd slowly thinned out.
Chris and I took a few more snapshots, and approached Julie to say bye. She told us about how her brother Jack is a disciple of Jackie Chan, and that we shouldn't miss the chance to take more pictures because he is leaving soon for Hollywood to start filming on another project with Jackie Chan. She also told us that we should join in the training in the martial arts center and that it'd be really fun. :) We politely laughed and said we'd consider, after which Julie repeated our names (at first forgetting Chris' ;P ). We said our goodbyes and left the building, feeling...quite honestly, as if we were walking on air, after everything that happened. :)
Xixi is utterly and endearingly adorable. We had the chance to ask for autographs, but didn't because we were busy trying to gather up our courage. ><>
We'll never forget August 3rd. Thank you for first informing all of us at Crystallized of the event and making this possible for Chris and I, Wan Mei. "Washington Mutual" Chris, we owe you. :p
And thank you, Xixi, for helping to make the day's events so unforgettable, a day unlike any other. We hope that you may one day come and visit us. :) Know that Crystallized will love and support you and your future endeavors, always.
PICTURES:

Xixi and I. :) She's lovely, isn't she? She's looking down into the bag of gifts I gave to her, asking if the url to Crystallized was somewhere inside. When I told her that it was written in the card I wrote, she said "Okay!", took out the Schnauzer stuffed animal, and said "Aww, so cute!" ^^; There is a group of Chinese press reporters and fans in a semicircle (not pictured) slightly to the left of Chris, who took the picture. Xixi's mom had cleared away some of the crowd so that I could speak to Xixi alone for a few minutes after giving her the gift.
Xixi and I again. <3 Yes, I'm nervous, very. T-T; This was taken sometime after the previous picture, as you can see, because she's holding the gift bag in her right hand. Chinese press reporters and fans are still taking pictures, as well.
This is what happens when Julie is handling the camera... T-T ... she took the picture at the wrong time, ahh! At this time, Chinese press reporters, fans, etc. are snapping photos, so let's hope at least THEY shot their pictures at the right time, unlike Julie. :p Chris stood next to me after Xixi had asked him about whether or not he'd like another picture. We were very lucky because Xixi's mom had cleared away some of the crowd so we could take more pictures with Xixi. Don't hate. Be happy, like Chris; look at that happy guy.
Yes, I know Xixi is gorgeous. The guy on the right is the closest person I have to a brother; Chris. You guys know him as Mizuu. :p
Xixi is beautiful. That guy next to her (me) can just get outta the picture, because he's ruining it. Now I know how it feels to be like that one TFK guy, standing next to Xixi. I didn't want to stand too close, in case it might make her uncomfortable. I was so happy to be there, next to her...! T-T It doesn't look like it though, because I was so nervous; I didn't wanna break out laughing and smiling like crazy, so I went the extreme opposite and uh, that's the result. Don't hate.
Xixi and Jack speaking on the main floor of the event. You can see a poster of Jackie Chan to the left, behind the balloons, and to the very right is a neat rack of weapons, lying against the wall. Jack has just handed the microphone to Xixi, after describing Xixi as "hen ke ai" and "piao liang". I couldn't agree more, Jack, I couldn't agree more. :)
Xixi is being interviewed by the two Chinese press reporters. They are in front of the neat little reception area. The lady in the yellow dress to the left of the reporter wearing the flannel shirt, is none other than Xixi's beloved mom. :)

Me, Chris, and Julie Tu. :) Apparently, I am not the most photogenic person; Chris is quite the handsome stud though. Julie and Xixi are good friends, I think; Xixi knows her well enough to be more casual when speaking to her. Julie is who I called to clarify details concerning the August 3rd event; she's really cool.
Jack Tu is the guy in the black shirt. Julie Tu is wearing a yellow shirt, to the right of the guy in the white shirt. Younger siblings Jenny and Jimmy Tu are next to her.
Jack is on the very left. Julie is next to him, and Jenny and Jimmy are to the right. Seems like Chris was a little eager to take this picture, seeing as how they weren't ready with their poses yet. :p
Huge thanks to Seraph from Crystallized, Chris and Wan Mei who scooped the news concerning the August 3rd event back in July
Jack Tu is the guy in the black shirt. Julie Tu is wearing a yellow shirt, to the right of the guy in the white shirt. Younger siblings Jenny and Jimmy Tu are next to her.
Jack is on the very left. Julie is next to him, and Jenny and Jimmy are to the right. Seems like Chris was a little eager to take this picture, seeing as how they weren't ready with their poses yet. :pHuge thanks to Seraph from Crystallized, Chris and Wan Mei who scooped the news concerning the August 3rd event back in July
No comments:
Post a Comment